Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cheesy gooey HEALTHY Vegan Philly Cheesesteak with Nacho Mom's Vegan Queso

I took some pics with my iphone again since that's about all the fanciness I have time for, but I'll upload em later...I'm in a rush for the impending holiday celebratory gathering but I thought, considering I ate this yesterday, I'll leave it with you prior to my break because doing so is like a gift...LOL...it's so dang good.

There are no measurements needed, you can't mess it up...just use more onions and bell peppers than you think you'll need since they shrink down so much in cooking.

Put or spray some olive oil in a deep saute pan and throw in some thinly sliced green bell peppers and onions...cook on medium heat until they are totally sauteed, soft, golden, cooked down and perfectly ready to eat. Remove from pan.

You will probably need to add more oil to your pan now...throw in chopped up Portobello mushrooms. Around 2" slices, 1" slices, smaller...whatever...Tip: Mushrooms should be cleaned by rubbing with a wet (damp)  towel or mushroom brush first, by the way...don't hold them under the water.  Mushrooms are like a sponge and all that water will go into your dish and make it watery and fairly tasteless.

Cook these for a few minutes then throw in some barbecue sauce. We use homemade that kinda is like a Heinz 57 style but it's totally up to you. I just put in enough to coat the mushrooms all over---you don't want it soupy, just flavored.  Cook until they lose the firmness and all mushrooms are well coated.


Then the fun part...

layer a bun (or we use thick homemade bread slices) with your mushrooms, the sauteed onions and bell peppers, top it with Nacho Mom's Queso (either Ultimate Vegan Queso or Fire Roasted Queso if you want some kick) and ketchup.  I know not everyone puts ketchup on Philly "cheese" steaks but I swear it's not the same if you don't.  Just my opinion though...your choice...you could use vegan mayo, barbecue sauce, nothing...

dive in. With napkins nearby.

and Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.
As for us, it won't be a fowl Thanksgiving....but we sure have some  wicked casseroles ready, many with vegan queso...yellow squash is a great compliment to it.

Where to find Nacho Mom's Vegan Quesos? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment